Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Canon PowerShot A590

Canon PowerShot A590 ISCanon is well known for their digital point and shoot cameras. They’ve had a number of extremely successful lines but I think the most popular of their cameras would have to be the PowerShot. We’ve done a number of reviews on different PowerShot models like the G9, SX100, and the SD750, among other models.

Today’s review is of another Powershot model, the PowerShot A590 IS. This point and shoot camera will astound you with its power-packed performance and impressive value. It’s got 8.0-megapixels, a 4x optical zoom, an Optical Image Stabilizer and a large 2.5-inch LCD, all for a low price.

Here are a few of the technical specifications for the PowerShot A590:

  • Street price: $199.99 approx.
  • 8.1MP
  • 2.5″ LCD
  • ISO Sensitivity: 80 / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600
  • Shutter Speed: 15-1/2000 sec
  • Aperture: F2.6-F5.5

Canon PowerShot A590 IS backThings I like
The PowerShot A590 surprised me greatly when I first started using it. I judged the book by its cover before ever giving it a chance. The A590 made me think back to the good old days when cameras were chunky, slow and the quality was rather low. This camera isn’t going to impress anyone with its looks and will certainly never win any design awards, but what it doesn’t have in looks it makes up in performance.

The picture quality was a great surprise. I was taking pictures that looked as good as my Digital Rebel XT. The pictures come out crisp and clear and the numerous on-board functions allow you to take the shot that you want. The shutter speed is another thing I like about this camera. Often times, p&s cameras can only acheive a shutter speed of 1/1000 or 1/500 and this is rather annoying if you’re taking pictures of sporting events or fast moving objects. The A590 allows you to capture the perfect moment with a maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 seconds.

I love all of the different manual functions. This camera really made me think that I was using a digital SLR. Which is great considering its low price tag.

Things I don’t like
I have one minor annoyance and one major problem with this camera. The problem that I have with it is its slow picture to picture shooting speed with the flash. The camera could capture a new picture once every 2.3 seconds with the flash disabled. With the flash turned on, that wait more than doubled to an anguishing 5.2 seconds. 5.2 seconds between pictures is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t want to wait that long for another picture.

The only minor annoyance I have with the A590 IS is its appearance. This camera is the ugly duckling of the PowerShot line. Most of the other cameras are sleek and sexy but the A590 IS just looks awkward.

Pros:

  • Great picture quality
  • Fast shutter speed
  • Lots of manual functions
  • Inexpensive

Cons:

  • Not the sleekest device
  • Slow shooting speed

Final Thoughts
The Canon PowerShot A590 IS is an excellent sub-$200 camera. It has a lot of manual features and the picture quality is excellent. It’s shooting time between shots is rather slow if the flash is turned on and it doesn’t look the best but overall its a great camera.

Rating: 4.2/5

No comments: