Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T300

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T300 Sony has been making a name for itself in the point and shoot camera market with their stylish small cameras. We’ve reviewed the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W90 which was a solid camera. Today we’re going to review a camera that is even smaller than the DSC-W90.

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T300 is smaller than most of its predeccessors, but incorporates a much larger LCD than before (3.5″!). This camera features a 10MP ccd sensor, optical image stabilization, 3.5″ LCD screen and a number of other great features.

Here are a few of the technical specifications for the Cyber-shot DSC-T300:

• Street price: $449.99 approx.
  • 10.3MP
  • 3.5″ LCD
  • 5x optical zoom
  • ISO Sensitivity: 80 / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200
  • Shutter Speed: 1sec - 1/1000
  • Image Stabilization

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T300 backThings I like
I think the thing I like most about this camear is it’s large 3.5″ LCD touch screen. Most cameras get rid of the optical viewfinder and put in a sub-par LCD screen. This becomes a problem when there’s direct sunlight on the screen because it becomes very hard to view the pictures you’re about to take (or have already taken). The LCD screen on the DSC-T300 is very large and very bright. You control almost every aspect of the camera via the 3.5-inch touch-screen LCD, leaving just a power button, a playback button, a shutter release, and a zoom rocker as its only physical controls.

This camera has an extremely good set of features including image stabilization, a touch screen, face detection software, smile shutter (makes sure everyone is smiling before taking a photo), macro photography and much more. I’m impressed that Sony has managed to pack all of this into such a small case.

I also like the fact that this camera is very small. It allows you to take it everywhere without worrying about its size or weight.

Things I don’t like
If you have large thumbs you’re going to have a hard time holding this camera without resting your fingers against the LCD screen. Because there’s less than half an inch around the LCD it can be rather annoying holding this camera.

The picture quality isn’t as great as its sibling, the T200, but the quality is still fairly good. At the higher ISO however, the photos become extremely noisy and unusable.

Pros:

• Large touch screen LCD
  • Small size
  • High resolution
  • Lots of on-board functionality
  • Back isn’t crowded with buttons

Cons:

• Awkward if you have big fingers
  • Noisy at high ISO levels

Final Thoughts
A great design, fast shooting, and lots of features can’t overcome the fact that the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T300 simply doesn’t take very good pictures at high ISO levels.

Rating: 4 / 5

No comments: