Thursday, May 29, 2008

Western Digital - My Book

Western Digital MyBook

For years now people have relied on external hard drives to store personal information, videos and other things. The size of external hard drives have been increasing recently and today we’re going to look at the largest external drive around.

Western Digital’s My Book is a sleek 1 TeraByte (1000 GB’s) external hard drive. Its curves seem a bit softer and there is a blue activity light. The old model had two circles: one for activity, and one circle that filled up as the drive was loaded with files. This new version has just a single LED strip that bounces back and forth during activity and then lights up as you fill the drive up.

Here are a few of the technical specifications for the WD My Book:

  • Street Price: $349.99
  • eSATA, Firewire 400, USB 2.0
  • Automatic Backup software included
  • Small size

My Book

It Holds

  • Up to 285,000 digital photos
  • Up to 250,000 songs (MP3)
  • Up to 25,000 songs (uncompressed CD quality)
  • Up to 76 hours of Digital Video (DV)
  • Up to 400 hours of DVD quality video
  • Up to 100 hours of HD video

Things I like
The fact that this drive allows for eSATA, FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 connections. This means you’ll be able to use the fastest connection possible to move your data. This drive is meant to be a backup drive for your laptop or desktop. WD realized this and included a great set of software tools to do the backup job. This software works flawlessly and is really easy to use. I’ve had backup software where it would take me 30 minutes just to understand what to press but this isn’t the case. I also like the look of the My Book. It is so sleek and just looks really nice. The final thing I like about this hard drive is the fact that it stays cool even during prolonged usage. Normally external hard drives heat up but the My Book keeps cool.

Things I don’t like
The My Book is fairly expensive and there are a number of cheaper 1TB hard drives. Other than its high price there isn’t anything I don’t like about this drive.

Pros:

  • Triple interface
  • Great software
  • Quiet operation

Cons:

  • Pricey
  • No eSATA cable included

Final Thoughts
If you’re in need of a large backup external hard drive the Western Digital My Book is definitely the hard drive for you. It looks amazing, has a number of different connection possibilities and stays cool even during prolonged use. I highly recommend this drive to any one.


Rating : 4.75/5

No comments: