Thursday, February 14, 2008

Nikon Coolpix P5100

Nikon CoolPix P5100Point and shoot cameras have been getting higher resolutions as the time goes on and it’s really anyones game as to when the resolutions will start to to even out. I’ve seen cameras as high as 21MP whereas my first camera had only 2.1MP. Today’s review has an astonishing 12.1MP which is pretty amazing considering it costs under $400.

The Coolpix P5100 is the latest in Nikon’s “Performance Series” with full manual controls, a place for an external flash and conversion lens compatibility. The P5100 follows the P5000 with the same 2.5-inch LCD screen and 3.5x optical zoom lens, but more resolution. This camera is basically a mini-SLR that gives you the ability to fine-tune your shots but without the bulk and heftiness of an actual SLR.

Here are a few of the technical specifications for the Coolpix P5100:

  • Street Price: $399.99
  • Resolution: 12.1MP
  • Shutter Speed: 8 – 1/2000 sec
  • ISO range: 64-3200
  • Exposure Modes (P/S/A/M)
  • Optical Viewfinder and Image Stabilization

Nikon CoolPix P5100 backThings I like
There are a number of things that I like about the P5100 and I really don’t know where to begin. I guess I should start with the fact that it has a 12.1MP resolution. This is almost unheard of for point & shoot cameras. While this may not sound that big to anyone keep in mind that the Nikon D40 (a Digital SLR) is only 6.1MP and costs $200 more than the P5100.

Not only does the Coolpix digital camera fit in the palm of your hand it has a number of great features that make it more of an entry level SLR than a high-end point and shoot. You can choose between full automatic mode where you just have to point and shoot or you can use a number of presets to get the right settings for the perfect shot. This camera felt very sturdy in my hands. A lot of times when I’m using the smaller cameras I’m scared that I’m going to break them but the P5100 felt hefty enough to ease my worries.

The image stabilization is also a huge plus since taking pictures at long ranges can tend to blur a little with even the slightest of hand shakes.

Things I don’t like
The thing I like least about Nikon’s P5100 is the LCD screen on the back of the camera. This screen becomes pretty useless in any direct sunlight. Luckily Nikon included the optical viewfinder so you don’t really need to use the screen but I think that it should have been made brighter.

The camera seemed a little sluggish to me when I was using it. It just didn’t have the quickness that most point and shoot cameras have. While it wasn’t slow enough to miss a picture it did come close a couple of times.

Pros:

  • Excellent image quality
  • A number of preset features
  • Sturdy feel
  • Image stabilization
  • Decent price

Cons:

  • Can’t see LCD in direct sunlight
  • A little sluggish

Final Thoughts
The Nikon Coolpix P5100 is an excellent camera that I recommend you buy if you need a new digital camera. I really like the image stabilization feature and the ability to customize it makes it feel more like an SLR than a point and shoot camera. While the price isn’t considerably low it isn’t that bad. This is pure and simple, a great camera.

No comments: