Monday, December 17, 2007

Sony Cybershot DSC-T200

Sony Cybershot DSC-T200Digital cameras have been getting better and better over the past few years. I remember a couple of years ago getting my first digital camera. It was chunky, slow to take pictures, ate through batteries very quickly and was only 2.1 MP. Cameras have definitely increased over the past few years and Sony has been leading the pack.

The Sony Cybershot DSC-T200 is a very sleek camera. It features a large 3.5″ LCD screen, 8.1MP imaging, a Carl Zeiss 5x optical zoom lens, and special features like Face Detection and Smile Shutter mode. It definitely fits a lot in considering its small size.

Here are a few of the technical specifications for the DSC-T200:

• Street price: $389
  • 8.1MP imaging
  • 3.5″ Widescreen LCD
  • 5x Optical Zoom
  • HD Output
  • Face Detection and Smile Shutter software

Sony CybershotThings I like
This camera really does fit everything into a small size. You can take this camera with you anywhere you wish to go without worrying about it taking up a lot of size. Sony also fits a 3.5″ screen into the DSC-T200 small size and it looks impressive. This screen gives you the ability to view all of your pictures.

I also like all of the software that is included with the DSC-T200. The face detection software makes sure that everyone is centered in the frame and the smile shutter makes sure that everyone is smiling. While it doesn’t always work it does help some of the time. The final thing I like about this camera is how it feels in your hands. The DSC-T200 is very well built. Unlike some small cameras that just feel cheap, this camera feels sturdy. I wasn’t afraid to break it when I was handling it.

Things I don’t like
While the software included is really nice, it just doesn’t work properly and it clutters up the menus. Trying to get everything to work can be a nightmare and since the software doesn’t always work properly they could have made it a lot easier to use. I normally don’t have a problem getting around a camera’s menu because I’ve used so many but I actually got lost and had to look at the owner’s manual.

The other thing I don’t like about this camera is the fact that the battery is horrible. It just doesn’t last long at all. I was out on an excursion and it barely lasted the day. The flash is also fairly poor. If the object your taking a picture of far away they just won’t show up.

Pros:

• Large LCD screen
  • 5x Optical Zoome
  • 8.1MP

Cons:

• Software just doesn’t work that well
  • Poor flash and battery life
  • Complex menu

Final Thoughts
I personally wouldn’t buy this camera. The battery life is way too short for any extended use and the flash is garbage. If you need a digital camera you can look elsewhere. While the 8.1MP is nice and your pictures will look clear, unless you’re shooting in perfect light the pictures won’t show up that well. I’m not recommending the DSC-T200 because there are many better digital cameras out there.

No comments: