Monday, January 7, 2008

Altec Lansing iM600

Altec Lansing iM600
Over the years the iPod has been gaining popularity in the Mp3 player market. With the popularity comes a number of accessories for it. Lately there have been a number of new iPod docks from companies like Bose, Sony, and Altec Lansing. Altec Lansing is known for their excellent desktop speakers and their iPod docks are no different.

The iM600 is no different in terms of quality from their other products. The iM600 has a number of really great features such as a radio, an alarm clock, and a second input jack for plugging in a number of different devices.

Here are a few of the technical specifications for the WD My Book:

  • Street Price: $149.95
  • Alarm Clock
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Remote Control

Things I like
The thing that stands out most about the iM600 is the sound quality. I’ve heard a number of different iPod docks and this one is by far the best I’ve ever had. This dock produces a very clear sound. The sound is of the same quality as some of the low end desktop speakers. The iM600 also features a stereo FM radio and can double as a clock radio when plugged in to an electrical outlet. It includes rechargeable Li-ion batteries and a wireless remote. And it syncs and charges all dockable iPod models. The battery is rated for 7 hours of continuous use so thats really good.

iM600Things I don’t like
The thing I don’t like the most about the iM600 is the fact that it doesn’t secure your iPod from falling out. If your desk gets knocked it’s quite possible that your iPod could drop to the ground and get damaged. The other thing that I don’t like is the fact that the alarm clock feature only works with the iPod. It doesn’t work with the radio and in my opinion this is quite stupid. Sometimes I want to wake up to my favorite DJ’s instead of my favorite songs. The other thing I don’t understand is why Altec would make it so the rechargeable battery can not removed. This means that once it wears out you can no longer use it, you’ll need to plug it in.

Pros:

  • Excellent Sound
  • Radio and Alarm Clock

Cons:

  • A little pricey
  • Alarm clock only works with iPod

Final Thoughts
Altec Lansing has been in the iPod speaker market longer than anyone, and it shows. The inclusion of a rechargeable battery and an FM radio makes the iM600 incredibly versatile. If you’re in need of a new iPod dock I would totally recommend Altec Lansing’s iM600.

No comments: