Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Logitech Z-5500

Gamers love their sound. One thing that I’ve learned during my short, but extremely fun, gaming period is that sound quality can get you killed really easy. If you can’t hear the other character sneaking up on you then you mine as well stop playing. A number of speakers give you fairly decent sound, like the Altec Lansing VS4121 but none give you quite as good of a sound as the product I’m going to review today.

The Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound speaker set is absolutely mind blowing. This set offers THX certified sound, 505 watts of power, a very cool remote and a very satisfied experience.

Logitech Z-5500

Here are a few of the technical specifications for the Logitech Z-5500:

  • Street price: $249.95
  • Total Peak power: 1010 watts
  • Maximum SPL: >115 dB
  • Frequency response: 33 Hz — 20 kHz
  • Input compatibility: PC/MAC, cd, mp3, xbox 360, ps3, wii, etc…
  • 4 satellites, 1 central channel, 1 subwoofer

Things I like
I would have to say the thing I like most about this unit (and the thing that I think is the most unique), is the ability to plug up to 6 inputs into the Z-5500. The control module’s rear panel boasts optical and coaxial digital-audio inputs as Logitech Z-5500 speaker setwell as three 1/8-inch analog mini-jack inputs. You can configure the three mini-jacks as a group to connect a 5.1-channel PC sound card or independently to connect up to three separate stereo sources. The control module’s side panel hosts a 1/8-inch headphone output and a 1/8-inch auxiliary input for playing a device such as an iPod. This is really cool because it extends the usefulness of the product from purely a desktop speaker set to a full entertainment system.

The other thing I like about the Z-5500 is the sound quality. While the 505 watts is very impressive the speakers sound very nice. I was listening to a couple rock songs and I closed my eyes and I could imagine myself being in the concert. I’ve heard music being played from a few extremely good speakers (pro quality) and the Z-5500 were very close to that quality.

Things I don’t like
Coming in at $250 you’re definitely paying for what you get. While this isn’t that expensive overall it can be a little pricey for people who don’t have a lot of money to spend on a speaker set. While the subwoofer is very impressive I feel that it could be better. It just doesn’t produce that great of a sound for my liking. It does shake the room however. The midrange also suffers a little bit but it’s really nothing to worry about.
Pros:

  • Great sound
  • 5.1 surround sound
  • 6 inputs

Cons:

  • Expensive
  • Bass and midrange suffer a little bit

Final Thoughts
The Logitech Z-5500 are amazing speakers. If you want quality sound and can pay for it I totally suggest that you pick these speakers up (use the little button below the post). So far out of all of the speakers that I’ve ever used these are my favourite. I 100% recommend them.

No comments: